Monday, January 28, 2013

Hello



            Hello! I’m Matt Craft, Man Myth Legend (MML), and I’m a good ol’ Southern boy hailing from the Nashville area.  I am a history major and a creative writing minor here at Belmont University. Amazingly, I have been here for five years, since the 2008 fall semester.  So, yes, I was a Bruin – a baby bruin, rather a cub that is – when President Barack Obama came to the presidential debate held here at the Curb Event Center. But no. I wasn’t there when the Secret Service swarmed everywhere and sealed campus off. It was during fall break that semester, so I went home.
            Anywho, back to my life’s story:  I am a weary veteran of upper-level history courses at Belmont, most notably Dr. Jackson’s HIS 3050 – Writing History, and I am currently enduring the chaotic chronicles presented in Dr. Bison’s HIS 4670 – The Tudor Monarchy, 1485-1603.
I’ve always liked history; when I was younger, I was fascinated by the past and loved to imagine myself in the past. But I wasn’t the history and geography whiz that I am today until middle school. I distinctly remember receiving a 100% on a European geography quiz in sixth grade.  As for creative writing, I’ve always been told and read stories, and I started writing my own stories when I was nine years old. I’ve also written poetry since 2008. 
Though not my standard genre, my article “Inequality in Education and Beyond” was published in the April 2012 issue of Breaking Ground, a Tennessee-wide disabilities council review. Similarly, I have submitted a few of my innumerable stories and poetry, such as “Parable on Kings Street,” “Megan,” and “Mattman Forever,” to the Belmont Literary Journal.
I have a mild disability, but that has never stopped me and never will.
So, that’s my story. Its last chapter has yet to be written. And until that time, if “a single will fills both of us,” I’ll be your Danteish guide, your insider on this “steep and savage path,”[1] on this young blog for Belmont’s History Department – I’ll be your Historical Investigator (HI). Peace, Traveler!


Matt Craft, MML, HI


[1] Dante, Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto II, 139;142.

No comments:

Post a Comment