Monday, March 18, 2013

The Craft Report Part 2


Hello, Everyone.  Hope you’ve enjoyed the last post, “The Craft Report Part 1.” If not, I‘ll have to knock sense into you.  LOL!  Just kidding.
            Part 1 set the stage for  the Phi Alpha Theta regional conference on Saturday, February 23, 2013, and evaluated the presenters on Panel 2: “Civil War and Slavery in the United States”  in Massey  Business Center 109.
And now, “The Craft Report 2:” Phi Alpha Theta regional conference, Session II...

For Session II of the PAT conference, I attended Panel 13: “The Progressive Era in the United States” in Massey 413 since I was on Panel 13 along Pam D’Antonio and Sarah Nelson, and Union University’s Professor Henry Allen chaired and moderated this panel. In order of presenters on Panel 13, I succeeded D’Antonio and preceded Nelson. But ladies first, so let’s talk about my colleagues before my very groovy presentation on Eugene V. Debs.
D’Antonio shared her Francis Benjamin Johnson, Female Photographer and Innovator in the Progressive Era with the audience. I’ve had a class or two with D’Antonio before attending her PAT presentation. She had good ideas, but I would have enjoyed even more discussion and evaluation of those ideas. That is not to say, however, I didn’t enjoy her presentation.
            As for D’Antonio’s paper itself, it primarily alternated its focus from the titular Johnson and the history of photography. D’Antonio opened the door to her paper with this knob: photography had, up until the late 19th century, been primarily a man’s hobby.  The titular Francis Johnson went against the grain with her headstrong intentions and chose to become an artist, photographer, and journalist.  D’Antonio said Johnson’s style was specific for several reasons, such as that Johnson implemented historically favorable photography techniques while simultaneously incorporating an artistic perspective.  Johnson’s legacy shaped fields of photography via documenting and therefore immortalizing architectural history. D’Antonio stressed the importance of Johnson’s systematic and uniform collection and, if I remember right, concluded her presentation with this statement: Johnson left behind many of her own personal documents for society’s posterity.
            Nelson’s topic and presentation thereof fascinated me: The Scopes Trial and the Myth of the American Community. Like Nelson announced in her oral introduction, her paper was more of a discussion of ideas than a narration of life stories. Indeed, the titular Scopes Trial,[1] said Nelson, presented a fundamental chasm between the Christian community and the progressive community within the United States. Christianity cultivated a spirit of dissension from the agnostic, humanistic public. The United States cannot allow Christianity to have any authority in determining public policy, especially public education, if Democracy is to stay intact. Nelson had tons of good and interesting ideas, and I enjoyed her presentation. But I would have enjoyed her paper more if she was more careful in her use and examination of evidence. The Scopes Trial was not as black and white as Nelson portrayed it.
            And ladies and gentlemen, the main event: Eugene V. Debs: The “Forgotten Red Saint…”
            Like I said in a previous post, I’ve never done anything like presenting at a conference before, nor had my good friend Seth Granda who assisted me in presenting.  I didn’t have the large audience I expected; nevertheless, I know Seth and I nailed it all the same! I owe this success to Seth’s practiced oratory and Dr. Wyeth Burgess’s gracious help in abridging the original 20+-page version of my paper. I couldn’t have done it without either of them. If I had used my laptop’s reader software or my Lightwriter communicator to perform the oration, it would have sounded mechanical, and if I had abridged the original text by myself, it might have sounded choppy and rushed. So, thank you. Thank you, you both!
            I also feel I responded and refuted the sadly weak questions posed by Prof. Allen, my dad, and my good family friend Larry Lewis. I expected more from my dad. He’s a trained critic, analyst, and orator as a lawyer. Such a disappointment. :( Think they didn’t hear the explanations and answers to their questions given in the abridged text.
            After Session II concluded at 11:45a.m., the various student presentations were over. The attendees and I were then treated to an Italian luncheon catered by Sodexho at 12:00p.m.-1:00p.m. The food was pretty good, better than the food usually is in the campus cafeteria. But I’m not a food critic, so let’s not focus on the luncheon. The after-lunch activities were threefold: First, a national PAT representative spoke briefly about the honor society’s goals, accomplishments, and stuff. Second, Dr. Kuryla introduced our guest speaker, Vanderbilt University’s Professor Richard Blackett, Andrew Jackson Professor of History. Prof. Blackett shared with us his Going Into the Belly of the Beast: The Underground Railroad and the Attack on Slavery, which was quite an intriguing story, but sadly I can’t recall any specifics. :( Third and last, the Best Paper Awards were announced and presented. Sadly, Debs and I didn’t win any – if you ask me, my Debs paper was nominee-worthy. But I’m proud to say that three of our very own each won an award: David Suell, Steve Gallo, and Sarah Nelson.  :) Way to go, everyone!
Thanks a bunch for reading, lovers of history. Stay tuned.
MML, HI


[1] In 1925, Tennessee public schools were not allowed to teach the theories of evolution, but one John Scopes defied the law and was tried, convicted, and later acquitted due to a legal technicality. “Scopes Trial,” Conservapedia, 25 June 2012. http://www.conservapedia.com/Scopes_Trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment